The development of technology has improved our lifestyle without we realize it. And without we know it, it has made its impact felt on every aspect of life, especially on communication. The impact, of course have a positve and negative sides. Now, I would tell you the impact of popular technology elements such as, emails , telephones, cell phones, etc. on our means of communication. Mobiles and the internet are literally the basic necessities these days. Admit it, we would feel something missing in life, if there were no mobiles or internet.
These are the impact of technology in communiction:
First, thanks to technology, we now have the power to communicate with anybody on the other side of the world.
- There is No Barriers. Communication is now easy; in case of situations when you want to convey something urgently to someone, mobiles and emails come in handy.
- Strengthened relations.Communication has made it easy to keep in touch with old contacts, and has also helped strengthen relationships. Thanks to social media.
- Better solutions. Communication has brought the world closer and promoted exchange of thoughts to find better solutions to any problem.
- E-education. Technological elements of communication like video-conferencing has made it possible to give best education to students via expert faculty on the web.
- Impact on relations. Finding someone to date was never so easy, thanks to the dating and chatting websites! No one would disagree if I say – Technology is behind the success of long distance relationships. Video chats and social networking sites have played a big role in keeping people in touch.
- Last but not least. Technological elements of communication have promoted faster decision-making, and led to the development and progress of the world. Video conferencing has played a considerate role in promoting faster decision-making. Most of the businesses depend on technology for communication.
These are the negative impact of technology in communication.
The most negative effect of technology that I feel is the charm of the good old world is missing. The letters, and lengthy face-to-face conversations have gone away, and have been replaced by texting or chatting. And then, the current generation lacks essential interpersonal skills. You know, a major reason for this tendency is increased frequency of communication through texting and chatting on websites.
- It is affected on nonverbal communication. Technological means of communication has also affected nonverbal communication. Lack of face-to-face interaction has reduced the nonverbal grasping power of individuals.
- Near yet far. Teenagers nowadays especially are always hooked to the social networking sites. They are more close to online friends, but the gap between parents and kids has increased considerably. The communication is missing, parents are not technology savvy and not used to the communication styles of their kids, and this has increased the generation gap.
- Reduced social interactions. Consider the socializing among people. Life has changed a lot, there are no social meetings and get-togethers (the frequency has reduced). People are more bothered about their online life rather than the real social life.
- Has led to many addictions. People have literally become addicted to the Internet and cell phones, and this addiction has led to many anxiety disorders. People addicted to the Internet feel lonely and isolated. (Agreed?)
- Malicious motives. Many people abuse the social networking sites and communicate to unsuspecting beings pretending someone else. This tendency of people has done more harm than good.
This was all about the impact of communication on technology. As you can see, the impact is both positive and negative. But logically thinking, technology has bettered the communication process and has done negligible harm. It all depends on how we use these means. Use the technological means of communication for sane purposes, and don’t abuse the technology for malicious motives.